Saturday, August 22, 2009

It's about time.....

It is out of the box!

I bought this piece of equipment after first year machine knitting at school - with the full intention of keeping up so that when I start back with the subject, I would not have lost all the skills. Needless to say, it had been in the box for a couple of years now. The only time I had it out was to learn how to give it a mini-service! (it was a very useful thing)

Well, I can't even remember how to start......

The yarn broke multiple times when I tried to cast on and knit the first row. I am not sure what I have done wrong. I checked the instruction book again - suddenly the light bulb comes on!
The russell levers. Then it worked.
There is this technique called platting that I learnt at the machine knitting club and I really want to experiment with it. It allows control of which side the yarn sits when I use more than one type.
The grey colour yarn is the platting yarn (appears on purl side) and sits behind the yarn feeder hole while the main yarn is in the yarn feeder (appears on knit side) and in this case, is not continuous.

2 comments:

Alternative Thoughts said...

hello
it is good to see the knitting machine being used and the plaiting started keep going, it will come back.

Leigh said...

Sampling, thank you for visiting my homestead blog and leaving a comment. And hello to a fellow fiber artist! Your weaving is lovely. I don't have a knitting machine, but I've toyed with the idea of getting one. I'm doubting they are as easy as they look.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have that recipe for the fig sorbet you mentioned, by any chance. :)