Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pics to Picks

I got my pictures from Esmae a while ago but have not had the time to do a post on them until now.
Machine knitting class has been taking up all my 'down time'. I have been doing samples in the evening after work, on weekends, and any spare time in between other things. It is wearing me down and I keep thinking of all these other things that I have on the go as well. Last sunday, I had 'stitching' group and managed to finish the linen jacket. I was so happy!
On friday evening, I skyped with Kaz and had a brief chat about the images I had received:

 menorah

Painting
meadow
mountains

I thought there is only about 6 weeks to go and I need to come up with something soon!
My first impression was that they are not images that I would normally use to inspire a weave design, but then, that is the idea! to do something different.
I look at them and can see more literal translation into weave patterns or structures. Kaz looks at them and can see the meaning and other connections with the pictures. She sees historic and cultural connections. I think that even if everyone who signed up were given the same images, the end results will quite be varied.

Menorah: some sort of double deflected weave, block design, 2 colours, probably wool for the deflected weave to work properly
John Papas painting: some sort of clasp weft soari-style weaving with the colours from the painting. I don't work with a lot of colours so the choice of colours is a bit 'scary'.
Meadow and mountains: I have not read the poetry component of the images but have focused on the colours and the shapes. They are calling out for a shibori weave dyed in varying tones of blues. A bit like an indigo process. In fact, I think that all the colours in the 2 images can probably be achieved through indigo dyeing.

2 comments:

c u r i o u s w e a v e r said...

Love your start Amanda. Thinking, thinking seems to come before sampling, sampling. I just left extra on my warp for the sampling! Hoping to get some 'real' weaves on the end!

Meg said...

Interesting images, Amanda. Lucky you for having Kaz to Skype with! Good luck, but be sure you enjoy the process.