Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Inspired by Kiyomizu Dera

When Meg organised the last Pics to Picks, these are a couple of the photos I had sent to Alienore.
I had mentioned that I have also used them as inspirations for previous projects. I was hoping that she would pick one of these as I am interested to see what other people would design with the same images.
I am always amazed, that at school when a group of us is given the same brief, how different approaches are taken and the variety of outcome.......
It is interesting to look back at the photos and still feel happy with the results. These pieces were woven in 2007 on my Ashford 8-shaft table loom - my very first loom!
As I no longer have the scarves, it is nice to have the images and the notes on them.
These are photos taken at Kiyomizu Dera  (清水寺) in Kyoto:

Otowa waterfall, where three channels of water fall into a pond. Visitors can catch and drink the water, which is believed to have wish-granting powers.
Results: 8-shaft honey comb with wool and soy silk tape. 


The tall pillars supporting the large veranda of the main hall.
I manipulated the image in photoshop with the various filters:
Results: 8-shaft twill with wool.
Both drafts are from 'a weaver's book of 8-shaft patterns' edited by Carol Strickler.

2 comments:

Meg said...

My fav temple in all of Japan!!

sampling said...

It is mine too!